Contract Ratification Process
Contract Information Sessions and Ratification Vote
The AFA and the College have reached a tentative contract. The new AFA Contract is subject to ratification by the AFA membership and Oakton Board of Trustees.
The new Contract was emailed to members on Friday, November 17th for review. Please do not share the draft contract with individuals outside of the AFA. There will be information sessions for you to discuss the contract and to ask questions about it. Please send questions about the contract to firstname.lastname@example.org
All adjunct faculty members are welcome to attend the information sessions. Copies of the contract and the summary of contract changes will be available at the information sessions for everyone to see.
VOTING on the Contract will be held at each information session. There will be four opportunities to vote. VOTING will only take place at the information sessions. We encourage all AFA members to come and vote. Only AFA members are eligible to vote on the new contract.
Non members who would like to join the Adjunct Faculty Association (AFA) can fill out the payroll deduction form and the IEA/NEA Membership form and drop them off at the AFA office (DP Room 2470). Membership forms will also be available at each information session for those who choose to join the AFA at the meetings. Non members can also contact the AFA about membership via voicemail or email.
Information sessions and VOTING will be held at the following dates, times and locations.
|Tuesday||November 28||Des Planes||1608||11:30a.m. -1:45p.m.|
|Wednesday||November 29||Des Plaines||1608||3:00-5:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||November 30||Skokie (RHC)||P103||4-6:30 p.m.|
|Friday||December 1||Skokie (RHC)||P103||11:30a.m. – 1:45p.m.|
VOTING will only take place at the information sessions.
Vote count will be held after the December 1, 2017 Information session at 2 p.m. in P103, Skokie campus.
It is the middle of the semester and it seems like just yesterday that we were just
beginning classes and summer was still here. I know we are feeling that momentum to the finish line winter break. The primary focus of this letter is on negotiations and just a few additional points and reminders.
Last Friday, the 13th , we completed negotiations on compensation and other financial
matters. We started at 11:30 a.m. and completed the negotiations at about 7 p.m. While
we were organized and prepared for this session, it still felt like we were on the floor of the Stock Exchange. While the discussion between the groups was intense, as it has been at times with other topics, this one came with much more stress for all of us since we began the interest-based process.
We bargained hoping to balance the needs and interests of all our members. Every contract is different and no contract is perfect. This will certainly be true for this contract as well. Although we have completed the formal part of the bargaining process, there are more steps to complete before we can share any results or tentative agreements.
The process for ratification follows:
1. The Bargaining Teams must complete the writing of the new contract. This will take some time. Then we meet and both teams accept the document or make changes, as necessary.
2. AFA Bargaining Team will provide members a copy of the new contract indicating the changes from the current contract.
3. Members will receive notification of days and times information sessions will be held on both campuses. At the meetings we review the most important aspects of the new tentative contract and answer any questions.
4. Times and location of voting will be provided to members. At the end of voting the administration is notified.
5. The voting results are provided to the Administration and then is submitted to the Oakton Board of Trustees for approval.
More information will be forthcoming regarding dates and places for the information sessions and voting.
It is very important to remember that only members may vote. If you are uncertain as to whether you are a member or fair share, please contact us at email@example.com to determine your status or you may attend the information sessions and join the union as a member in order to vote.
• Thanks again to all of you who participated in the activities of the HLC. Our presence was noted. We all learned from the experience.
• The AFA picnic in September was our first. Your Board has decided to plan our second for next fall at the same time and maybe a slightly more visible location.
• The Membership meeting will be held at the North Branch Pizzeria on November 5. There will be appetizers, soft drinks, and a cash bar starting at 4 p.m. followed by the meeting and burger bar for at 5 p.m.. We hope all of you will consider attending.
See you There!
• Thank you for all that you do; not only for the AFA but for our students!
Have a good rest of the semester!
Cheryl L. Thayer, President
Mary Hope Griffin, Vice President
Cindy Del Medico, Treasurer
Linda Berendsen, Secretary
John Bishop, Grievance
Ruth Whitney, Elections