Dear Adjunct Faculty Member:
We, the AFA Board, want to welcome you back for the Fall 2017 semester at Oakton.
A few key issues to be aware in the coming weeks:
- Negotiations continue. The AFA contract ends on August 18 and we will continue under the old contract until a new one is adopted.. Currently we are rapidly approaching the end of our issues that do not require a discussion of budget. When finished we will have at least two town hall meetings to discuss any changes. As we get closer to completion of our bargaining we will provide more information.
- The next AFA Board meeting is August 15 at the Skokie campus. We will meet in room B202 at 4 p.m. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Adjunct faculty teaching on the Skokie campus please note that the Faculty Support Office is now the Division 4 office. They will no longer take phone messages for non-Division 4 people, so please note you can request a telephone number/extension with voicemail. This is the contact information to obtain the number (just click or copy), or contact Patty Lucas (1819).
4. The Welcome Back Breakfast is on August 14 on the Des Plaines campus at 9:00 a.m. You are invited to attend. Newer adjunct faculty will be introduced and a picture taken. Please try to come.
5. All adjuncts are required to attend Orientation Week (August 14-18) departmental meetings. Affiliates must attend these meetings. Those who plan to sign the meeting commitment form are compensated.
6. The first annual Adjunct Faculty Picnic is scheduled for August 26. 12-4. Please come and bring your family and significant others:
HARMS WOODS – GROVE #3
GOLF AND HARMS ROAD
Morton Grove, Illinois
SATURDAY, AUGUST 26, 2017
7. The Higher Learning Commission is coming September 24 and 25 on their regular reaccreditation visit. Some of our visitors may talk with you. Check Oakton daily e-News for more information.
8. If you wish to run for an Illinois Education Association (our parent union, an affiliate of the National Education Association) position, keep checking the IEA website (ieanea.org). Completed applications are often due in December or early January.
Again, welcome back and have a good fall semester.
Cheryl L. Thayer, President
Mary Hope Griffin, Vice President
Cindy Del Medico, Treasurer
Lina Berendsen, Secretary
John Bishop, Grievance
Ruth Whitney, Elections