Dear Adjunct Faculty Members,
As you may know, a pool of 12 LHEs has been designated for leadership and/or participation in student success initiatives or initiatives that are seen as priorities of the college for the academic years of the contract. The following initiatives have been determined jointly by AFA and the College and are eligible for consideration:
- Integrate a high impact practice into course content and activities (that reduces opportunity gaps and encourages success for all students; e.g., service learning, problem-based learning, community-based project).
- Develop and lead a project that increases adjunct faculty engagement and inclusion within a discipline, department, division, or college-wide.
- Develop and deliver open educational resource materials (OER).
- Lead a student success initiative within a discipline, department, and/or division (e.g. premajor/pathways development or major revision, organizing co-curricular events).
- Develop content-specific online course materials or interactive student activities that can be shared with faculty within a department/program (persons that received LHEs to develop these materials as part of an online course would not be eligible).
- Research, using data from an Office of Institutional Research request, any learning equity gaps in the courses you teach and develop and implement an action plan to address those gaps.
The 12 LHE Committee, comprised of faculty and an administrator, reviews applications and responds within a 3 week time frame to applicants. The decision of the committee may be appealed to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs. The current Committee is Cheryl Thayer and Ruth Williams.
If you are interested in pursuing one of these initiatives for the 2022-2023 academic year, please complete the application by Tuesday, February 15, 2021 by 5pm. If needed, projects can begin in summer 2022. Priority will be given to proposers that have not been awarded LHEs through this program.
All applicants must receive chairperson/coordinator and dean approval prior to submission of the application. The application asks applicants to confirm these discussions. Prior to awarding of LHEs, these discussions will be confirmed by the committee members.
Here is a list of past proposals awarded LHEs:
- Online and On-Site Tutoring and Support for Chemistry Students and Planning for Academic Continuity, 2 LHE
- Integrating a High Impact Practice into Course Content and Activities, 0.5 LHE
- Gamification, Reframing Case Studies and Patient Management into Problem-Based Assessments that Spur Enjoyment as well as Learning, 1 LHE
- Reflective Practice to Connect Theory and Practice in the Biological Sciences, 1.5 LHE
- Is it LEGIT? Critical Thinking Online and Social Media Services, 2 LHEs
- How Individual Face-to-Face Conference between Students and the Instructor can Drive Students’ Success in Writing Courses, 2 LHE
- High Impact Practices in the Teaching of Psychology, 2 LHE
Attached is the evaluation rubric the Committee will use to evaluate proposals. The committee will notify applicants of LHE awards no later than March 8, 2022.
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.